similarminds.com

similarminds.com

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ 
arguments over quality of product

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    similarminds.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenka
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: arguments over quality of product Reply with quote

well, so I went to get an insanely expensive 'translation with a legal stamp' thing today, and there was a mis-translation on it, not an immediately obvious one, but one that I feel is important for the purpose I need it for (even though I do not know this for sure), and I worry that if it comes to the attention of the people whom I will be handing it to, there might be difficulties, i might have to get another tranlation, and i'm under pressure time-wise.

I realized the importance of all of this as I was checking the document, and eventually brought it to the attention of the lady who was giving it to me, some kind of feeler extravert (I think).

She did not understand what I was refering to. I told her the line

Quote:
"<my name>, entered by <my school>, received the <something> diploma of <something> organization."

does not translate as

Quote:
"<my name> received from <my school> the <something> diploma."

since my school isn't legally entitled to give out these diplomas, and no diplomas given out by my school have legal weight in my country. I explained about the organization and the school, and the difference between the two, and she told me they obviously can't add this to the paper, as it's not ON the original paper. So I showed her where it is, in the sentence, implied by the words "entered by" and "of", but she said she didn't follow, but that I shouldn't worry about it since the ministry never really looks at any legal documents anyways.

I actually then paid and left, and I hated myself the whole way home. I spent money, maybe in vain, and I lost a very simple argument where I was right - how will i deal with the rest of life if I can't even stand my ground in a situation like this? I kept rethinking about WHY i was right and how I should have phrased the matter to make her see my point, INTP-style (ie. the way my dad does it).

I could have just told here that none of the translations of "entered by" in a dictionary imply the giving of anythign by anyone to anyone; and that the bit about the organization was missing from the sentence completely; which is kind of a big deal considering there were like three sentences on the whole page, and they were charging me a page's worth for it.

I'm still really angry, mainly at the fact that i handed over the money where i could have easilly called my dad on the phone for help, or asked to keep the translation there over the weekend and discuss it with the parents at home.
KNL
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six magic words to acquire quality customer service. Repeat after me.

"May I speak with you supervisor?"

Razz

"Oh, crap, she's got feelings."
"I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass."
"What can I say, I'm intellectually promiscuous."
Zephr
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KNL wrote:

Razz

Having worked in customer service, I have to say that every time I heard those words my thoughts went along the lines of "Thank goodness this jackass is someone else's problem now."
Lenka
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephr wrote:
KNL wrote:

Razz

Having worked in customer service, I have to say that every time I heard those words my thoughts went along the lines of "Thank goodness this jackass is someone else's problem now."

Lol. Will they bitch-slap you if you cause too much of a fuss? i always worry. (not literally, of course ;P )
KNL
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephr wrote:
KNL wrote:

Razz

So everyone gets what they want. Except the supervisor. Who deserves the hassle. Razz

"Oh, crap, she's got feelings."
"I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass."
"What can I say, I'm intellectually promiscuous."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    similarminds.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: