similarminds.com

similarminds.com

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ 
The Lord Of The Rings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    similarminds.com Forum Index -> Movie/TV/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: The Lord Of The Rings Reply with quote

Frodo 9w1 ESFP
Sam 2w1 ESFP
Merry 6w5 ESFP
Pippin 6w7 ESFP
Gandalf 5w6 INTJ
Aragorn 4w5 INFJ
Legolas 5w4 ISTP
Gimli 8w7 ESTP
Boromir cp6w5 ESFJ
Faramir cp6w5 ESFJ
The Denethor ph6w5 ISTP
Saruman cp6w5 or 8w9 ISTJ
Theoden cp6w5 or 8w9 ISTJ
Eowyn cp6w7 ESFP
Galadriel 9w8 INFP
Elrond 8w9 ESTJ

Hobbits are generally Sensors. They're normally 9s and 6s. Men are all 6s and are also normally Sensors. Elves are 5s and 9s. Dwarfs are - yes, you guessed it, a bunch of 8s. Wizards are iNtuitives, as are the other 'wise' ones like Aragorn.

Feel free to add your own characters and differ with mine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kyle
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a bunch of bullshit, sorry.
it's not so much that I disagree with all of it...
it's just... I dunno, i disagree with enough of it...
And, I disagree with the principal of attempting to make these types of statements in the first place..
so... I felt compelled to speak up.. It leads to an illusion.

Have a good weekend...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, you're so sincere, Kyle. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shorty
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle doesn't like to categorise people Wink

I'm interested by your typing of Aaragon (the dark haired guy, good with swords, right?) as INFJ. What led you to this typing?

You will go here: http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/function_attitude
zillah
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Lord Of The Rings Reply with quote

Ezra wrote:
Frodo 9w1 ESFP
Sam 2w1 ESFP
Merry 6w5 ESFP
Pippin 6w7 ESFP
Gandalf 5w6 INTJ
Aragorn 4w5 INFJ
Legolas 5w4 ISTP
Gimli 8w7 ESTP
Boromir cp6w5 ESFJ
Faramir cp6w5 ESFJ
The Denethor ph6w5 ISTP
Saruman cp6w5 or 8w9 ISTJ
Theoden cp6w5 or 8w9 ISTJ
Eowyn cp6w7 ESFP
Galadriel 9w8 INFP
Elrond 8w9 ESTJ

Dude I think the only one I agree with is Gandalf. Laughing

No way Sam is a P. He's dutiful to the core and suspicious of anything unfamiliar, classic ISFJ.

Boromir is Te as hell. He is brash and unafraid of conflict. Definitely not a dominant Fe type like ESFJ.

Galadriel she seems like INFJ to me with her twin faces of nurturing kindness and mystery (with the mystery face sometimes being rather harsh and scary).

I'm intrigued. Will see if I can get the books from the library and go at it, I have a free night tonight.

Great to have a starting point to think about on each character too. That helps a lot, thanks Ezra.
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll admit my MBTI typing was a little on the shit side - for every character save perhaps one or two.

But the Enneagram types - you can't argue with. Smile

shorty, I typed Aragorn as INFJ because he's a romantic, but he could be INFP. He's definitely feeling and introverted. Could be wrong though about J. I'm only half-arsed with MBTI because I'm delving into Socionics more.
zillah
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, no Ezra, I can't argue with Enneagrams, I hardly know them at all.

Have the books now...

Gaffer Gamgee (Sam's dad) :
Quote:
in the matter of "roots", especially potatoes, the Gaffer was recognized as the leading authority by all in the neighbourhood (including himself).
Te!! Laughing He also uses words like "decent", "respectable" and "proper", so thats probably STJ.
Quote:
"Elves and Dragons! I says to [Sam]. Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you. Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters, or you'll land in trouble too big for you, I says to him.
Hehe. Sounds ISTJ.

Bilbo: Jokes about serious things; loves open-ended wandering - P. Oddness and unconventionality - N. I don't see F, he's not overly concerned how other people feel. Also his love of tricks and riddles suggests NT. He doesn't particularly like visitors or attention and likes writing, so perhaps I. INTP?
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right. MAYBE you could say his Introversion was down to the ring taking hold of him, but you're probably right.

I challenge you to type:

Sauron

Laughing
zillah
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe. Oh, he's prolly INT like every other baddie. Laughing

I'm not sure on Bilbo being introverted. He has a flippant charm to him which might fit better with ENTP. As Toby said, they're the most introverted extraverts. Smile

Aragorn: seems like a straight up guy to me. He talks way more to the point than most of the characters. I'm sure he's S and doesn't seem at all like an SJ. I'm wondering about ISTP for him.

Frodo: I think ISFP. He acts a lot like Harry Potter actually.

Pippin, probably ESTP cause his sense of humour is quite cheeky. Merry I'm not sure yet. I'm still ok with ISFJ for Sam.

Boromir is the ESTJ from HELL. Laughing "But why can't we just use the ring? It would be a lot of practical use to us Men of Gondor. Makes sense to me! It's what? Dangerous? Huh? Well I still think we should use it. You elves and wizards talk a lot of crap." Laughing
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zillah wrote:
Frodo: I think ISFP. He acts a lot like Harry Potter actually.

They're both 9s on the Enneagram.
zillah
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezra wrote:
They're both 9s on the Enneagram.

What meaneth this? Explain.

Aragorn is really hard to type. So is Faramir. And Eowyn. And Merry. Argh!

I'm enjoying the books more than I thought. It's been several years.
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zillah wrote:
What meaneth this? Explain.

Do you know what the Enneagram is?

zillah wrote:
Aragorn is really hard to type. So is Faramir. And Eowyn. And Merry.

Easier than you think.

zillah wrote:
I'm enjoying the books more than I thought. It's been several years.

I started reading them a few months ago, then got caught up in other fiction. I'll never finish, because I've gone off fiction.
Toby
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Ezra, you need to post here more. You are cooler than you think.
zillah
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezra wrote:
Do you know what the Enneagram is?

Define "what", "is" and "do".

ACCORDING TO YOU WHAT SIMILARITIES DO FRODO AND HARRY SHARE FROM E9.

Ezra wrote:
Easier than you think.

Yeah, if you don't care whether you get it right.

ESFP for Merry. (So that makes 2 I agree with.) A nice sensible, skillful, well spoken ESFP, not too gung ho on the E. He reminds me of a friend of mine - fun, but practical too.

Stodgy, faithful Gimli = ISTJ. (His crush on Galadriel is kind of funny.) Legolas is another pain in the ass to type.

We see so little of Saruman, but I think he's probably INTJ. (Could he be INFJ, with his persuasive voice?) I'm not sure Elrond can be typed either from the little that's in the book, but he seems rather grave and otherwordly, I would go with IN_J possibly. He's certainly not ESTJ!

All the fricking elves and men are hard to type. They're drawn more as mythic figures than flawed humans. (Except Boromir the flaming ESTJ. But his faults are necessary to the story.) Everything the Elves say is so anodyne, there are no type markers. I love Aragorn and Faramir, but they don't come across as real people to me the way the hobbits and Gandalf do.

I'm changing my mind for Sam - ESFJ rather than ISFJ. Fe-type bossy/nurturing is really his primary quality. Despite his suspicious attitude, he's quite adventurous. And he practically never shuts up. E>I.

Can't do Eowyn til I get a bit further on. Last time I read she was my favourite character. Smile

Hmm, what about Gollum?
Ezra
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zillah wrote:
ACCORDING TO YOU WHAT SIMILARITIES DO FRODO AND HARRY SHARE FROM E9.

'Oh, please let me be, I don't want to have to defeat the dark lord, I want to curl up and read a book. Oh, go on then.' *Unleashes previously unexpressed power which manages to win the game. Goes back to bed*

Quote:
Legolas is another pain in the ass to type.

Easy. I've changed my initial decision though. He's ISFP.

Quote:
(Could he be INFJ, with his persuasive voice?)

Possibly. He has that Hitleresque irrationality that visionary feelers tend to lean towards.

Quote:
I'm not sure Elrond can be typed either from the little that's in the book, but he seems rather grave and otherwordly, I would go with IN_J possibly. He's certainly not ESTJ!

Check out the conservatism on him. Look at his relationship with Arwen - 'no you will marry into your own kind'. Think about his battle in his mind about whether to help humans or let the suffer. He's clearly a man of honour, principles and values.

Quote:
All the fricking elves and men are hard to type. They're drawn more as mythic figures than flawed humans. (Except Boromir the flaming ESTJ. But his faults are necessary to the story.) Everything the Elves say is so anodyne, there are no type markers. I love Aragorn and Faramir, but they don't come across as real people to me the way the hobbits and Gandalf do.

Aragorn is very real. As is Faramir. Have you been watching the films? Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm doing the films here, not the books. I can't remember the books. Most of the men are SFJs.

Quote:
Hmm, what about Gollum?

ISFP.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    similarminds.com Forum Index -> Movie/TV/Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: