similarminds.com

similarminds.com

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ 
Evil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    similarminds.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean13
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know if it's been addressed or not but sometimes people consider things evil out of ignorance.

Something I just realized is that animals do have, within their respective species, variations of behavior and action. Therefore, one could surmise that different animals, within a species, have different things that bring them pain or happiness. Of course there are the general causes for these reactions but there are also idiosyncrasies among the animals. This brings me to the conclusion that animals have opinions as well, but they don't realize they do because they except it as their natural existance.

So subjectivity is not just a human quality, but humans are the only ones (that I know of) that can identify it as being subjectivity.
Romana
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trondor wrote:
No, I think everything that is labelled evil is in a way pain, pain here in the broadest sence "everything that is unpleasent", both mentally and physically. Ofcourse, people might have an utilitarian approach to their pain, that it is for greater pleasure in the future (like childbirth) which makes it easier to deal with (minimizing pain with thoughts\placebo effect), but pain is essential the source of evil. Religion, all of them if I'm not mistaken, have a consequence teaching where if you are moral you will be rewarded with everlasting pleasure (heaven, nirvana) but if you are evil you will be punished with everlasting pain (hell, reincarnation)

You are right that many religions depict pain as the result of an immoral life. Not all of them do, though, and this connection is patently false. Pain is often the result of causes that are unrelated to the degree of morality of the sufferer. Books like Rabbi Kushner's When Bad Things Happen to Good People debunk this hogwash rather effectively. Since pain is unpleasant, it might legitimately be considered evil to cause someone pain without good cause, but pain itself is often a physical good, and suffering of various types is often a very fertile ground for personal growth. This does not mean we should seek out pain and suffering and visit it gratuitously on others, but when it does occur, we should find in it what opportunities there are for learning and growth.

And do not be sorry - this is an interesting topic.

“The awareness of our own weaknesses allows us to view the weaknesses of others with immense compassion and to appreciate the value of their offerings.”
~ Logospilgrim
lightsun
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: evil Reply with quote

I think this is an investing thread and would like to compare it to my own evil thread
& nonentropic's ponerology thread.
of distortions, distractions, &
illusions that keep us from the
TRUTH!
I WANT TO BE HAPPY!
INFP, cognitive style MERCY!
eneeagram #9!!
Zodiac "cancer"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    similarminds.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: